Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Australian Lace Guild - Trienial Lace Awards for 2015

The Triennial Award is a competition held every three years by the Australian Lace Guild.  The theme for 2015 was Gold.  There are various categories including bobbin, needle and mixed laces as well as group entries.  This year I decided to enter a piece under the bobbin lace category.  This was a huge step for me as until this year, I had never entered a piece of lace into anything other than a country show.

As per my previous post I participated in a lace demonstration at the National Gallery of Victoria ealier this year as part of their Exquisite Threads exhibition.  The exhibition coincided with my decision to make a piece for the Trienial Awards so I went along looking for inspiration for my design.  I certainly found it.

Below is the piece I made. It is made with copper wire.  The design is made in three sections and then joined.


Here you can see where I found my inspiration at Exquisite Threads.  These are strong connections to the shapes lines and form of three of the pieces from the exhibition.



The winners for the award were announced at the AGM during the National Conference.  To my delight I was awarded Highly Commended.  It is an honour to learn that my piece is regarded highly amongst the lace community. 

I really enjoyed designing this piece and creating it.  The whole process just seemed to flow together.  It has certainly inspired me to continue designing and creating pieces in wire.

The theme for the next Trienial Award is footprints.  If I pulled this piece together in four months lets see where my imagination, skills and drive can take me in three years........

No comments:

Post a Comment